The heart has its
reasons that reason
knows nothing of.

Introduction

Welcome to my blog. Yes, that's right, it's MINE!


Profile

I like rainbows & ice cream.
I like fluffay & cuddly puppies.
I love Autumn, Winter & Spring.
I love gaming. I love food. I love Lee.



Blogs

Alice (xXJuHuaChaXx)
Audrey
BinG (zOoMz)
Clara
Edmund
Eeyore
Eileen (liltootie)
Eric (OreoIceBlend)
Felicia
Jac (Eskyjac)
Jane
Lindy (lindylim)
Lindy
Sara (BabySarazz)
Sherilyn (f1shb0ne)
Stephanie
Tiffy (xNaru)
Ting (OmFgiTzTin9)


Cowboy Caleb
GrabYourFork
Mr Brown
XiaXue
Sheylara
Karen Cheng



Tags
















Memories




Credits

Original Idea : everlastingroses!
Modifications : Me
Header Quote by : Blaise Pascal
Sunday, 14 September 2008 @ 06:43

Today marks the Autumn Equinox and the Mid-Autumn Festival, celebrated by most chinese. There are many stories regarding the origin of this Festival, of which all I like! :)

Since as far back as I can remember, I've read numerous children's books on folklore. Guess it's the mystical element that allures me.

I vaguely remember the story of Chang'Er, her husband Hou-Yi and of cos, the Jade Rabbit.

There are so many versions of that story now... but the version I remembered was where Hou-Yi was crowned Emperor after shooting down 9 of the 10 suns. During his tyrannical reign, he sacrificed the lives of his people to make the pill of immortality. His Empress, Chang'Er, consumed the pill to prevent Hou-Yi from consuming the pill. Thus, she floated up to the moon and lived there till today.

The other version involves the uprising in China against the Mongolians. It was said that secret messages were smuggled to other fractions by inserting them into mooncakes. Apparently, the Mongolians didn't care much for them. With the use of these mooncakes, the Chinese succeeded!

For wadever reason mooncakes came about, I'm glad for them!

In my childhood years, I vividly remember carrying my red gold fish (candled) lantern and 'parading' round the block!

Back then, cellophane (plastic) lanterns were the rage! They were much nicer than the paper ones and didn't catch fire as easily.

A bunch of us kids would have our parents light up our lanterns and simply walk round and round... the simple pleasures :) We would have food and drinks all prepared and set up at the void deck. After our 'parade', we would have mooncakes!

In my teens, uncles and aunties would gather around and all share mooncake and sip tea while they chatted the night away.

Some would venture out to the Chinese Garden to partake in the festivities. I, for one, dislike those kind of crowds.

Nowadays, the revelry has died down and I'd prefer just to enjoy the mooncakes themselves. Personally I LOVE mooncakes with eggyolks! The more, the MERRIER! muahahahah!


Happy Mid-Autumn Festival to ALL!

中秋节快乐!